Saturday 14 March 2009

Spring impressions

A soothing wind fondled my face and woke me gently. I must have dozed away. Slowly, I opened my eyes and squinted in the bright sun. When I turned around, I saw that the aged couple on the neighbouring bench had gone. How soothing and calming it had been just to watch them. How tender he petted her wrinkled face while she looked affectionately at him. They knew each other from their childhood and were married now for 5o years they had told me. One could feel the love and trust that bonded them. The years spent in love together let vanish discomfort, mistrust, doubt or suspicion among them. Amazing, how much they still cared for one another. Time seemed to have passed without leaving a flaw to still feel the same intense love and affection for each other as more than half a century ago.

A sweet and light fragrance reached me from the lilies of the valley. It was dazzling to sit among so many gay and blooming flowers. The various birds were chirping in a medley and the temperatures were pleasant after a long, dreary and cold winter. I took a deep breath and let my lungs fill with the warm, sweet smelling air which was brimful of life. The sun was shining as bright as it could putting everyone into humour. I looked around and everywhere people were now out in colourful dresses and a smiling face. It seemed that with doffing the dark and heavy winter jackets, people had also put away their louring facial features. A smile seemed to come off easier than during icy temperatures when the face was safely wrapped in huge winter scarfs.

A swan couple waddled pleasurably along the lakeshore. When I looked out to the lake, I could see a middle-aged courting couple in a boat. He looked smart and mature with his silverish hair. He looked deep into her eyes and said something softly. Whatever it had been, it brought a smile to her face and let her blush. My eyes swept back to the lakeshore. The two swans sunbathing on the lush green meadows lovingly wrapped their necks around each other.

A typical beginning of Spring. Though every year it appeared to be the same, with the sun shining bright, the temperature going up, people surging again to bustling sidewalk cafes and beer gardens, the birds returning from their winter camps, the flowers blooming in all possible colours and shapes, still every year it felt so special to welcome back the spring. The spring fever bewitched the wintery hearts again. Wherever I looked I could see happy couples, holding hands and caressing each other softly.

A jolly, young family walked slowly passed me pushing a stroller with a toddler in it. Its about four-year old sister was running jauntily ahead pushing her doll’s pram before her. She quickly turned around to check her parents were catching up with her. She looked gorgeous in her pink dress, her red jawls and both her short pigtails which stood off lively. Her parents looked at her in full bliss. My eyes rambled down the path where a young man was standing. He seemed to be daydreaming. For a moment our eyes met and I felt a sudden warmth building up from inside. From the corner of my eye, I saw someone sneaking up from his back. All of a sudden that person jumped up his back. Though shocked in the first second, quickly a bright smile filled his face when he turned his head around. The young lady jumped off again and smiled almost brighter than the sun looking at him. She was beautiful and happy. I could see a sparkle of joy in her eyes. After a heartly hug, he gave her a soft kiss on her cheek. They put their arms around each other and walked away towards the near cafĂ© which played cheery summer hits.

A soft wind blew my hair into my face reminding me its time to go. Somehow I wished, every day would be like this, with this pleasant sunshine, smiling faces all around, soft and flowery fragrances, mild temperatures and a gentle breeze. I sprawled slowly and packed leisurely my book away, when something hard hit me from top. It had been a hazle nut which bounced off my head and fell next to me onto the bench. Before I could wonder where it came from, a squirrel jumped off the tree behind me and landed smooth on all four by me. He looked buffled watching his escaped nut. Hello my little friend, I said. He wagged his fluffy tail and stood up as if he had understood me. Then looked again at his nut which he must have brought out of his winter hideout. I looked around to my shade-giving tree, there were no other squirrels. Hey, so how come you are alone, mate? He didn’t seem to care much about this question with his eyes fixed on his precious nut. Slowly he prowled towards his treisure which lay between us, always checking out my position in-between. Grabbing his nut he once more looked at me. For one second I thought he winked at me. Then he jumped off the bench and rushed towards a bush where another squirrel was already anxiously sticking her head out.

Hmm, yeah, of course he had his soulmate, just like Adam had his Eve, Romeo his Juliette, Jack his Jill and simply every prince his princess.
But how many springs would still need to pass for my soulmate to come?

I thought there is a Soulmate for everyone

No comments: